Saturday, February 21, 2009

Something new every day..

At work, I was talking to a planner from the machine shop, named Bob. He was a former machinist, and we ended up talking about his trade. As I'm a totally untrained, amateur machinist, Bob was kind enough to spend an hour walking me through the art of grinding lathe tooling. He showed me some basic shapes for turning, for facing, the groove that serves as a chip-breaker, clearances and reliefs, the easy way to set your tool height-- and even his method of sharpening drill bits.

I realized that I'd been fighting with poorly shaped tooling for years.

I guess the reason that I was so stoked was that from the get-go, I was hoping to learn from the experience that surrounds me every day, and this was one of those times. Thanks Bob.





No comments:

Post a Comment